October 31, 2008

The Threat of the Blankie

Well, as a lot of you know, I have been racking my brain trying to understand why Luke stopped the whole potty training thing. He just was having issues with the whole poopy thing. Yuck.... I couldn't get him to be ok with going on the toilet, and frankly, I am at my wits end changing two sets of diapers! ugh! So, my friend and I were talking about what could I threaten to take away and I just didn't know at all, because Luke is not really attached to any of his toys at all... he could take them or leave them. So, one day, it was like a light bulb when off! THE BLANKIES!!!! Now, for those of you who know our little Luke a bit, you know that he has 2 flannel pillowcases that he's tattered up over the last 3 years that have become his 'blankies'. It didn't even dawn on me to use these as leverage in the whole potty training process, until one day last week, I was putting them in the laundry and he about had a cow because he didn't want me to wash them and he HAD to have them! DING! There was my leverage. Now, as you can tell from the picture, one of these pillowcases is toast. Therefore I didn't mind doing what I was going to do next. The threat: Luke, go poopy in the toilet, and you can keep your blankie. OR.... Luke, go poopy in your pants, and blankie goes in the garbage! I know... I'm such a cruel mommy! But really, I need this potty training business to be done for a few years. Ok, so Luke ACTUALLY got that message, and did GREAT the first day and pooped 2 times!!! YEAH! But the second day, he did it in his pull-up and - well, whoops... the tattered blankie bit the can! Luke was pretty devastated, but felt better knowing that he has a second blankie that he deperatly wants to hang on to... so needless to say, we haven't had an accident since Wednesday, even through preschool and nursery at the YMCA, and I am very proud of him! (I do give him suckers if he does go poopy, so that's a positive, right!?) Anyway, we're on our way to being diaper free - from one body that is! hahah ;)