May 11, 2010

There's a first time for everything!

AH! Luke got a Dog Tick on him the other day! This was the first time Dave or I had to deal with getting a tick off of any one! I was a little freaked out, but luckily the tick had just barely gotten on him and was barely attached to his skin. The head wasn't even in yet, it was just hanging on with it's teeth (or whatever part holds on!?) I had never seen a tick in person and up close, so of course I needed to take pictures! haha! So here is how we found it and what the conversation was like...
I'm giving Luke a shower, and washing his hair, and noticed a bump... split his hair and saw it! AH! And 'ewe' was my first thought! Luke noticed I stopped washing and was poking around, and he said, "What is it?"
Me: "It's just a bump!"
(I then peeked my head out of the bathroom at Dave and whispered, 'I think Luke has a tick!' If I said it to Luke he would freak!)

Luke: "Mommy, what's on my head?"
Me: "Just a bump.. when we get you out of the shower we'll get it taken care of... don't worry about it"
Luke: "what kind of bump?"
(as you can see, the more we talked about the 'bump' the more he wanted to know)
Me: "It's just a bump that likes your head a lot!"
(his eyes are getting bigger now, and not sure that I can hide it from him!)
By this time, Dave is on the internet looking to find out how to remove ticks safely, and he spills the beans to Luke. I took a picture but refused to show it to Luke. (he freaked out about a tiny spider on him the other day) Luke started crying, but eventually we appeased him by making sure he knew it wouldn't hurt, and he could have cookies after he was done. He was good with that!
Long story short, we tried the alcohol, liquid soap, but eventually, Dave had to work it off by tugging softly at it with tweezers. Again, it wasn't in the skin yet, it just pulled of one piece of tiny skin, and didn't even leave a mark. Thank goodness!

Posted by Picasa